The 2018 T-Mobile Home Run Derby field is set. Bryce Harper will represent the hometown Washington Nationals in Washington, D.C., while 7 other sluggers attempt to dethrone Harper in his home stadium.
Interestingly, every single player with the exception of Bryce Harper, who participated one in the event before, has never taken part in a Home Run Derby. This may in part due to a majority of players not showing interest in the contest with notable players such as J.D. Martinez, Aaron Judge, Mookie Betts, Giancarlo Stanton, and Mike Trout refusing to participate.
So, without further ado, here are your 2018 Major League Baseball Home Run Derby Participants:
• No. 1 – Jesús Aguilar, Milwaukee Brewers
• No. 2 – Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals
• No. 3 – Max Muncy, Los Angeles Dodgers
• No. 4 – Alex Bregman, Houston Astros
• No. 5 – Kyle Schwarber, Chicago Cubs
• No. 6 – Javier Báez, Chicago Cubs
• No. 7 – Freddie Freeman, Atlanta Braves
• No. 8 – Rhys Hoskins, Philadelphia Phillies
At this point, it appears that Harper, Freeman, and Aguilar are the favorites to win it, while some may also make a case for Muncy, but Home Run Derbys are extremely unpredictable and if you are one of the 8 participants, you basically have the same shot as everyone else.
The Derby will take place Monday, July 16 (the day before the All-Star Game. The Derby will be broadcast on ESPN starting at 8 P.M. Eastern Standard Time.